Monday, January 28, 2013

Have a BBC New Year!



 I thank the fine folks at TV-ark.org.uk for this graphic, which they sent to me in an email in 2011. I saw it as a brief still-frame at the end of “BBC World News” on WYCC-20 in 2001 or so, and I’d been hunting it down for ten years after that to no avail. Fortunately, those knowledgeable webmasters had it for me. Note that this image says "BBC One" on the bottom; when shown overseas, the caption would instead read either "BBC World News" or "BBC World Service."
What I saw was a still taken from a larger animated promo for the "2000 Today" 24-hour coverage. The "flames" you see in the background are in fact fireworks. The first icon is a "2" (though it's not the one used by BBC Two); the second is the BBC's "globe balloon" icon; the third is a distorted silhouette of a cheering crowd (I thought it was clock gears for a long time); and the fourth is, of course, Big Ben's clock face.

No comments:

Post a Comment