Sunday, September 1, 2013


Welcome back, my friends, for Series Three of the Millennium Museum!
It’s a bittersweet beginning, though: Series 3 begins and Summer Vacation ends. In fact, if I’ve got my dates right, you should be reading this sometime around…Labor Day.
…And you know what the end of Summer Vacation means: It’s time to go “Back To School!” I have to admit, I feel your pain. Another year of the same old story from last year. More books, more homework, more projects…more, more, more.

That’s why I, Mr. Millennium, took the liberty of making sure you’re prepared this year. These books should get you through your studies nicely:



As its name implies, this book selects 1,000 pivotal figures from 1000 CE to 2000. Notable names include Lady Murasaki Shibiku, writer of The Tale of Genji, which is considered the world's first long-form novel; civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (history note: 2013 marks the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington, at which Dr. King gave his “I Have a Dream” speech); “test-tube baby” Louise Brown; and scientist Albert Einstein, among many, many others.
This book fits in with the “preserving history” remit of most Millennium Artifacts. When I first took a look at this one in the Oak Lawn Public Library, it was the first thing to get me noticing the overall theme. It was in the children’s reference section, which means that each person listed gets a highly sanitized “potted biography” of a few paragraphs. Not surprisingly, it’s also geared heavily toward Western culture.



A condensed encyclopedia, this volume looks to the issues that the new century might bring. It covers a wide range of topics, including law, the environment, technology, medicine, communication, politics, education, and countless other things that will come to light in the near future...and the implications those advances might have on society.
I personally count this as a Millennium Item because it deals with the 21st Century's seemingly infinite potential (well, as of 1998). The horizon out there looked to be wide, open, and clear; the possibilities unlimited, for good or bad. Macmillan saw fit to condense its earlier, two-volume Encyclopedia of the Future into a single “instruction manual” for the road ahead. It's both a way to prepare the future's children for whatever lies ahead, and a means to spark imagination and discussion.
“Children” is a recurring theme in a lot of 2000 marketing, come to think of it...It makes sense, really, because a child's innocence is in this context symbolic of the adult's desire to finally “get it right” this time around.



Before we talk about this one in any detail, let me apologize for its shocking physical state. I don’t remember the details, but I think it sustained damage in shipping. Long story short, we got it like that, and we bought it brand new.
Anyway: This is a multi-disc set comprising every single issue of National Geographic from its inception in 1888 to December 2000. It’s dated now, but should still be useful for school projects. I myself never used it, because reading the magazine on a computer screen just isn’t “right” for me. When I had to do research papers for school, I made a point of printing out the stuff I had collected from databases. It was more convenient than reading on a screen, looking at passages, and typing up quotes…I could look at the printed copy, find a passage, go “Ooh, that sounds good,” and highlight/circle/write in the margins. The same sentiment applies here: I feel that it’s better to actually have the magazine in your hands, because you can just rifle through it and find inspiration.
Earlier this year, I had another National Geographic issue from December 1998, entitled “Making Sense of the Millennium.” In fact, I think the National Geographic Foundation stamped each of the magazine’s issues from 1998 to 2000 with a special stamp.
The Foundation was one of a few very big organizations with a significant stake in the Millennium Celebrations, as its mission is to preserve not only the beautiful natural world around us, but also the history and culture behind it. Throughout the 1970s, 80s, and 90s, the ever-looming specter of “Westernization” was on everyone’s mind, and National Geographic served as a check against that threat by showing us that yes, other cultures were not only alive, but thriving. Personally, I hope that, as an amateur historian, this is still the case…



When I initially started writing the entry for this book, I was about to brush it aside as a “shameless reprint” of the original 1996 edition. Fortunately, a second trip to Oak Lawn’s library and a closer, objective look at the book proved me very wrong. It is far more than just a reprint, for it contains a lot of new content. The most significant update is a breathtakingly beautiful 48-page introduction displaying all the latest developments in science and technology. The International Space Station, the Internet, genetics, and environmental science are but a few of the entries. I took a picture of the table of contents section so you can see what’s inside it.
The big question is this: What makes this a Millennium Item, besides the “2000 Edition” label? The new section, obviously, is the biggest indicator, but the brand new introduction serves to give readers a tantalizing glimpse into the 21st Century…and wonder what might be in store in the decades to come.

Hmm...That's actually a horrible picture. Silver paper is a nightmare to photograph.

Also, the outer dust cover is in silver; the previous edition’s was white. As I mentioned in the Guinness Book of World Records Millennium Edition and Millennium Quartet entries, the color silver is something of a running theme in Millennium merchandise.
For once, I have no idea why silver was associated with the 2000 celebrations, but I can think of a few possible reasons. First and most obviously, silver is a “futuristic” color. In classic depictions of the future, people are often depicted wearing silver clothing, and spaceships were often finished off in silver. Indeed, that Madame Alexander Millennium Doll from a few weeks ago perfectly illustrates this.
Less obviously, silver is an elegant color that denotes high class, which ties in well with Monopoly 2000 Edition…in fact, the deluxe collector’s edition of that one came in a silver box with a vacuum-formed lid. (One day, I shall have it!) I myself believe that silver is an elegant color because just about every other color seems to look good alongside it.
 My trip to the Oak Lawn Public Library, from which most of this week’s material comes from, proved so fruitful that I have too much material for one week!

With that in mind, I’m going to end this Back to School Special here and create Part 2 next week. It’ll be like when Elton John made “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” into a double album: there was too much stuff for just one record.

No comments:

Post a Comment