Monday, December 31, 2018

Dick Clark's Countdown to the Millennium Ornament


At last! The long-awaited "Dick Clark's Countdown to the Millennium" ornament!!








I bought this on eBay several months ago, and have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to post it. Now that it's New Year's Eve, what better time to give it a spot in the Museum?

First things first: Let's unpack this. It's an "Orna-Music" ornament, sold by Sterling Giftware, Inc. A quick search for this particular Sterling Giftware revealed that the company is defunct, along with the Orna-Music trademark. There were a few other ornaments in the line, in the shape of an old jukebox, a television set, and a Christmas fireplace. All are pretty common on eBay and other online shopping sites. 

There's a bit of a history between this one and me: It first caught my attention at the Kohl's in Chicago Ridge, and it was one of the first things I thought about when I pulled the concept of the Museum out of nowhere. The Year 2000 thing was something I just didn't put much thought into at the time. Still, no time like the present.

At the top of the ornament, there's a two-inch-long plastic capsule with a tiny Times Square ball inside it. The capsule was originally filled with water, so that, when you turned the thing upside down, the ball would float "up" into the capsule, and when you turned it right side up, it would float down like the real thing does. Unfortunately, my ball is firmly stuck in the "up" position, the water having dried out (or spilled!) ages ago. 

Also, it's supposed to play a pre-recorded message by Dick Clark, while another button plays a snippet from Kool 'n' the Gang's "Celebration." Mine just plays "Celebration"--I have to work on the Dick Clark function. If I can restore that, then I'll post a video review. Remember, this thing is going on twenty years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment