Sunday, February 1, 2015

"The Life Millennium: The 100 Most Important Events & People of the Past 1,000 Years"

Hello, and welcome back to the Millennium Museum!

I've stayed away from blogging for some time, and reading Millennium: A History of the Last Thousand Years, by Felipe Fernadez-Armesto. It's a big book, and a heady read. My overall impression of it is that it gives a good idea of how civilizations rise and fall, only for another to take its place. That will be coming up in a few months' time, as will my episode-by-episode breakdown of Millennium. (I think I've got a good idea for that one--commentary and thoughts interspersed with bits of pulp-fiction narration.)

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I've got a book to review!






This volume was published in 1998 by Time, Inc. (Side note: I did have, at one point, both Time and Newsweek's final issues of the century. I wish I had kept them in good condition...)

The interesting thing about this volume is that it orders its historical events by how much impact each one had, whereas other books would have gone in chronological order.

...With that in mind, I'd say that it deserves more than my usual "one article per item" treatment, and I haven't been writing because it's so hard to encompass some of the denser items into one blog post. I will therefore make a series of this book, going ten by ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment