Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy Fourth of July!

Unfortunately, there won't be a themed post this year, because I wasn't able to find any Fourth of July-related things. That being said, however, I am able to offer something exceptionally rare: I have more information about that blue "Millennium" Beanie Baby knockoff I found in the claw machine at Swap-O-Rama Flea Market last year.



It's called a "Millennium Bean Bear," and a company called "G.G.I." based in Cincinnati, Ohio, and Shropshire, England, sold it. A cursory Amazon search revealed that they may still be in business, selling LED and glow-stick novelties. I can't be certain, though; there are several companies with that name.

It's actually pretty well-made for a cash-in (a picture is available in the earlier entry). The seams are well-sewed and durable; the embroidered "1999" tag is strong; and the dye-job on the plush is consistent. The only issue I have--and this extends to a few other items--is that it came from out of nowhere. It has no context, so I can't classify it as "pop culture," "connections," "globe," "Y2K," or anything else. It isn't a part of an existing line (as did the Millennium Beanie Baby and the Blackhawks Arena Bammer).

It's pure millennium kitsch, but that's not a bad thing, because most of the stuff you'll see here is kitsch to begin with.

EDIT, 7-13-14: Oh, look, I do have a better picture of it after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment