Sunday, July 7, 2013

A light update this week.



The past week has been really long and really tiring, and I’m saving my energy for two larger posts, one of which is going to be a Sydney Olympics 2000 retrospective.
The other one will feature my thoughts on Harry S. Dent, Jr.’s book The Roaring 2000s, a financial book.
To that end, this week will be a lighter post.
 
 
 
This is the inside of a non-working claw machine at Alsip Swap-O-Rama Flea Market.
As you can see, it hasn’t worked since 2000 or so, because there are a lot of “Millennium Bears” inside it!
I am really not sure where these bears come from or who made them. They’re all navy blue with a golden text box bearing the year “1999” embroidered on their chests.
They don’t seem to commemorate anything other than the turn of the millennium, so I can only say that they’re little more than a cheap cash-in on the Beanie Babies trend.
(I do, however, have the original Millennium Beanie Baby, which I found at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $2, but I’ll save that for next week or so.)
 
If any of you out there on the Web have one of these or can provide more info on 'em, I'd appreciate it.
 
 
July 7, 2000: Burglars removed about 30 compact discs from a car in Wheeling, IL (I include this one because reports about stolen compact discs are so 2000…you never hear of compact discs anymore.)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment