Tuesday, June 18, 2019

"Millennium Vacation" board game


I got this at a Southwest Florida goodwill store in April 2016, and the pictures have been languishing in my laptop ever since! Well, no time like the present to get a move on...


In hindsight, I could've taken a better picture with my smartphone, which I didn't yet have at the time. 

Right. So, basically, the idea is, your grandparents are going to celebrate their fiftieth wedding anniversary, and you and your parents have to make it "over the river and through the woods" to their place, on a great big road-trip. However, that's not going to be easy: since this is getting close to the year 2000, that means all the computers everywhere you go are going to be out of commission. Date Cards and Millennium Cards can either help or hinder you along the way.

The game has a nicely cheesy clip-art aesthetic to it, with a lot of fonts I've seen on school posters or something. Very early Microsoft Word or WordPerfect, I'd wager. As you can see, the board is designed to look like a grandfather clock, with the pendulum as the "start" space and "Grandma and Grandpa's house" as the end tile just below it, so you have to go up and down and all around. It looked...a bit of a mess, really, and the Y2K theme is all too quaint these days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment