Monday, February 5, 2018

eBay and the Dangers of Millennium Collecting

I've been taking a long-overdue gander at anything from the year 2000 that eBay has to offer. I've tried "Year 2000" and "New Millennium 2000" as keywords.

My search is turning up a lot of just plain ephemera. There are a lot of ties; a lot of pins; a lot of T-shirts...It's bearing so much fruit that I really have to watch myself and think about the Museum's purpose: to present a more complete picture of the phenomenon that was the changeover of 1999 to 2000, and also to document anything from that time which I just happen to come across. Wittering on about collector's pins isn't going to accomplish that. Besides, if I were to try to document every single thing marketed and sold at that time, I would soon reach a point of treading well-worn ground.

Also, as we reach the twentieth anniversary of the celebrations, things are getting more and more expensive. I really hate to use pictures from eBay unless I really have to, because I'd rather have whatever I'm looking at and take my own pictures.

I think I'm going to finish up what I've got before I start looking for new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment